Saturday, April 23, 2011

Six Hours of Cramps Race

I'm exhausted. Raced in the six hour "Outwit, Outlast, and Outride" mountain bike race in Brownsville today. Solo. I almost didn't get to race as I stripped my seatpost collar clamp five minutes before the race while adjusting my seat. Frantically, I asked around, and fortunately another rider loaned me a spare. I installed in on the start line just before the race started. That was a sign of things to come. On the second lap my rear tire started to give on the turns as it slowly leaked out precious air. Stopped and blasted it with a CO2 cartridge and was back in the race. It held for another lap and started to go flat again. Pitted and aired it up again. Bonked on the fourth lap as my heart rate got too high. Several riders passed me as I slowed to what seemed like a crawl to catch my breath. Lost a lot of time. I recovered over the next few laps until lap seven when I started to cramp in my legs. I popped Sport Legs, drank Gatorade, ate banannas, but nothing helped. I struggled for the rest of the race fighting cramps and had to stop every lap to stretch. When I finished my 10th and final lap, my legs seized up like 2x4s. Two guys had to lift me off my bike as I yelled out in pain. They laid me down in a seat and I gingerly laid there for several minutes until my cramps subsided. I came in 4th place in the 40 and over solo category, missing out on a medal by one spot. With everything that happened in the race, I was happy to have finished my "Six Hours of Cramps" race. Until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment