Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 378 - Fixed at Last

Fed up after weeks of trying to fix Nico's bike into a singlespeed, I had dropped the bike off at the bike shop to see if they could fix it. I had already replaced the middle chainring, and had the rear wheel trued, and it still skipped under power. Well it turns out the bike shop couldn't fix it either. They couldn't get the chain sized to the proper size. That was the same problem I had. Then a light bulb clicked on brightly in my head. "Why don't you go down to a smaller cog on the rear wheel so it requires less chain and will engage more of the cog teeth?" He was running a 15T. So I ordered a 14T, which is what I am running on my singlespeed. It came in and I installed it and removed the extra links and viola -- the chain fit like a glove. Now for the moment of truth. Hesistantly, I got on the bike and started to pedal. I stood up and pushed down hard on the cranks and it didn't skip!! Problem solved. I was even able to remove the chain tensioner that he was running before. Fixed at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment