Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 379 - Drop the Hammer!

After putting in a hard day of trail maintenance on Saturday morning at Mission, I rewarded myself by going down to Brownsville on Sunday to ride the Monte Bella Park trails. Ridehard and a few of our club members met us down there for an afternoon ride. I suspected that is was going to be a fast ride since some of the fast guys -- AC, Hector (that's Hector climbing in the pic), and Richard -- were going. My suspicions were confirmed less than 50 yards into the ride when Hector puts up a fast pace. I'm content to stick to his wheel with AC in tow. I thought the first lap was fast, until AC took over on the 2nd lap and dropped the hammer! I managed to stick with him for 1/2 of the lap until we got into the twisty stuff when he dropped me. I thought I would have an advantage on the tight stuff since I was riding a 26" wheel bike and he was riding a 29er. Boy was I wrong. Those big wheels had much better traction. He also pedaled through the turns. I usually coast through turns. I hadn't thought about it before, but I noticed that by constantly pedaling through the turns he was able to accelerate quicker out of the turns.I need to work on that. We rode another lap and replenished our lost carbs with a couple of ice cold frosties before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment