Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 365 - Pop the Bubbly!

Today marked my one year anniversary from the day that I was released from the hospital for my hip fracture surgery. Got up early Sunday morning at 6:30 a.m and drove down to Brownsville for the 3rd and final mountain bike race in their series. Low turnout. Including myself there were only three "expert" class racers. One of them looked like a newb. The other one was riding a 29er singlespeed. Bang, off the line the singlespeed guy sprints to the lead. I slot in behind him. I'm surprised how fast he is going on the flats. He's doing 18 mph on a singlespeed! He drops me. We get into the tight and twisty stuff. I catch up. I see I have an advantage as his big 29er wheels don't corner as quick as my 26er's do. I reach to grab my water bottle in a turn and drop it. Shit! I lose at least 15 seconds picking it up. I'm behind 50 yards as we complete the first lap. I follow him on the second lap and close the gap as we enter the twist section. I yell "trail left" and pass him. I know I will be able to put some time on him in the tight stuff. I don't look back. I got a 100 yard lead as we finish the 2nd lap. I keep the pedal to the medal for the 3rd lap and cross the finish line in first place in the male expert category. I'm stroked. What a way to celebrate my anniversary. Pop the bubbly!

No comments:

Post a Comment