Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 367 - Squeak. Squeak.

Don't you hate it when your bike squeaks and you can't figure out what is causing it? That's one of my pet peeves. An expensive bike that you pay a couple of grand for should not squeak. A few months ago my Anthem X2 started to make squeaking noises when I was riding it. It began after I bought and put on a new Specialized Phenom saddle on my bike. So I tighten the bolts on it. Went riding. Squeak. Speak. Took off the seat and cleaned it. Put it back on. Squeak. Squeak. Took out the seatpost and greased it. Went riding. Squeak. Squeak. I began to wonder, "What do I have inside my bike? A mouse?" Frustated at my inability to find the squeak, I started looking for a new seatpost so I wouldn't hear that damn squeak anymore. Was in the bike store today and asked a bike mechanic what the noise could be. He said to put grease on the seatpost bolts and rails. Went home. Greased the bolts, greased the seat post rails. Clamped the seat onto the seatpost and then torqued the bolts to the inch ponds in the instructions. When I finished I hesistantly touched it. Nothing. I put more force on it with the palm of my hand. It was quiet. I couldn't believe it. The mystery squeak had been solved. My confidence in my wrenching abilities had been restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment